We do require tenants to have renters insurance, however that usually only covers their personal belongings. As the property owner, you need adequate insurance as well. If the house happens to burn down, you need insurance to not only pay for the rebuild, but also for lost income.  If something happens at the home that ends up being seen as owner negligence and it destroys the tenant’s personal belongings, you will need coverage for that as well. If you have a property you are rehabbing but it’s currently vacant, you will need yet another kind of coverage for that. It starts to get confusing, so let an experienced agent in the field explain it to you. Contact Bryan Hunter with Farmers Insurance to discuss what type of insurance would be appropriate for your situation.

Make sure your Kansas City rental is properly insured